Pools and hot tubs

Applying Sphagnum Moss To Treat Pools And Spas

But, is not moss sort of like algae? No algae are microscopic plants whereas moss is a plant with leaves, stems and a root method.  There are diverse varieties of sphagnum moss. Some grown on trees or in trees or rocks. Some develop in or on moist locations that never get significantly sun. Some of these mosses develop in bogs or ponds and lakes. 

The sort of moss that we're referring to is a kind identified expanding in bogs subsequent to ponds or lakes and when you appear at or swim in these bodies of water, the water tends to be pristine and clear and fresh.

In reality if you check out 1 of the a lot of lakes in northern Minnesota and southern Canada you will come across that the water is so clean and clear just since of the sort of moss. Why? Just place, the sphagnum moss generate and/or discharge (believe of a tea bag leaching out the “tea”) a substance that is antimicrobial in nature (believe of green tea & its antioxidants) and that antimicrobial action prevents bacteria, mold & fungus from expanding and reproducing. It is a reality that has been recognized and made use of for actually thousands of years.

Thousands of years ago, our ancestors would wrap freshly trapped fish or meat in sphagnum moss to preserve it till they could return house.  Recently, a man from “ice age” Europe was identified frozen in a glacier. Upon examination, it was noted that he had a wound that was packed with sphagnum moss. Maintain in thoughts that the ancient globe made use of other “prevalent” issues to kill or stop bacterial development such as a silver coin in a water jar. As not too long ago as Planet War I moss was made use of to guard open wounds from festering with illness even though waiting for right therapy.  These soldiers who had been fortunate sufficient to be “treated” with the sphagnum moss had substantially much less occurrence of health-related maladies than their “untreated” comrades.  Nowadays, specific wounds care centers about the globe use this kind of moss to effectively treat “non-healing” wounds.

So what does this imply for swimming pools?  A lot of excellent stuff. Scientists & developers have identified a certain species of sphagnum moss that is an exceptional preventive therapy for bacteria, mold & fungus identified in all sorts of swimming pools and spas.  It seems that algae is also suppressed due to the lack of nutrients out there to trigger an algae bloom.  Keep in thoughts that only about 1% of the bacteria identified in swimming pools are “planktonic” or floating about in the water. The other roughly 99% is identified in biofilms residing on pool & spa surfaces – any and all pool and spa surfaces. That indicates plumbing lines, liners, ladder treads, the backs of skimmer weirs (doors), inside light niches, heater cores (heat exchangers), filter media (sand, DE or cartridge) and so forth. That is the breeding ground for the “stuff” that can lead to cloudy water, algae, chlorine demand, scaling, not to mention odors and foaming in hot tubs.

The sphagnum moss is naturally and ecologically harvested, dried and processed and place into quick to use, quick to deal with packets that are placed in an off-line dispenser ( pool only) and “fed” into the pool, spa or hot tub. It requires about 1 month for the “tea” (never be concerned, no taste) to leach from the sphagnum moss packets and do their function. The moss packets are in a position to absorb about 20 occasions their weight in undesirables from the pool or spa. The packets are then replaced (the packets are biodegradable) each and every month.

The “tea” from the sphagnum moss is antimicrobial & as a result is in a position to stop the development and spreading of bio-films plus it aids in neutralizing other bacteria identified in the pool, spa or hot tub. As an added advantage, the sphagnum moss also collects positively charged metals such as iron and copper that can stain pool and spa surfaces. Additionally, as strong organic buffers emanate from the sphagnum moss,  water becomes cleaner, clearer, softer feeling, greater smelling and utilizing substantially much less chemical compounds. Benefits are ordinarily noticed in below 1 week's time.

Pool and spa moss merchandise ARE compatible with all halogen pool & spa care merchandise (chlorine, bromine, and salt chlorine generation – FAC – Free of charge Out there Chlorine – must be maintained at a level of 1. – three. ppm), ionizers such as Nature2, Spa Frog, Pool Frog, and ozone. Pool and spa moss merchandise are NOT compatible with biguanides (biguanides are extended string polymers that will “clog up” the sphagnum moss) such as Baquacil, BaquaSpa (Arch Chemical merchandise), Soft Swim, or Soft Soak (BioLab merchandise).

Show More